Enduring on the Lake

Monday, August 25, 2014

Chapter 16


“Dingety Dangety Frazzle Snots!!” 

“Zane!  She’s talking strange AND dancing this time.” 

“I’m not dancing!” I yelled up to the kitchen.  “I stubbed my toe!” 

Zane yelled back and I could hear the laughter in his voice. “Break anything?” 

“Ha ha, very funny!” 

It wasn’t though, not to me.  It had been raining steadily for a week and I had come down this morning to find a corner of the cellar was damp.  I didn’t know what to do but I did know that damp wasn’t good.  On top of that Zane had a prior commitment running electric to a workshop and hadn’t seen him for a couple of days and didn’t know if he was even available to help. 

I sat and panicked for a few minutes before getting up the nerve to call Zane anyway, only Max answered. 

“We were just gonna call you,” he said. 

“You were?” 

“Yeah.  Me and Zane wanted to know if you were gonna be around.  We have an unexpected slot opening in our work schedule.” 

“Is that a fact?” 

Zane could be heard saying, “Give me that Monkey.” 

“Zane?” 

My tone of voice must have alerted him to something going on. “Yeah … uh …” 

Deciding to just go for broke I said, “Please say Max wasn’t kidding.” 

“Er … no … no he wasn’t.  Got finished with the other place a day quicker than I expected.  What’s up?”  I explained and he asked, “The floor of the cellar is wet?” 

“Yes.  The north east corner where the floor slopes.” 

“Just wet on the floor?” 

“No.  It looks like it is running down the wall right there.” 

“Hmmmm.  OK, you know how to turn the water off from the well?” 

“Yeah.  Daddy said turn the ‘lectric off at the well then turn the red spigot handle to the right.” 

“You do that just in case it is a broken pipe.  That corner is right under the kitchen and bathroom and that outside wall.” 

Not any less worried when presented with the new possibility I asked, “That’s fixable?” 

“Most things are.” 

Not appreciating his sense of humor right at that moment I said, “You know what I mean.” 

“Yeah.  But there is no need to panic.  I can hear it in your voice that you’re thinking about running that direction.  Now stop being upset.  Cellars get wet and pipes leak.  Then you fix ‘em.” 

“If you say so.” 

“I do.  Did anything besides the floor get wet?” 

“No, but it will if I don’t move stuff.” 

“OK.  You start moving stuff – I’ll need the area clear to work one way or the other – and we’ll be there in about thirty.” 

********** 

I got lucky.  It wound up only being the hose bib on the outside of the house.  But clean-up was harder because a lot of wood got wet where the water ran between the blocks and into the drywall of that part of the cellar.  Plus it took two long, orange extension cords to have power for the wet vac. 

Shaking his Zane said, “Syd I still don’t understand why your dad won’t let me run any additional electric.  The panel will support it.” 

Carefully I tried to explain, “Well part of it is he’s only allocated so much money for renovations.” 

“I can understand that but with all the money you’ve saved him …” 

“Plus when we are up here we try and live without ‘lectricity as much as possible.  He wants … hmmm …” 

With a small smile of what turned out to be understanding he said, “Some weird family thing?” 

“Not weird exactly, but … ok yeah, it’s weird and it’s a family thing.” 

“Ok.  But you need to try and at least talk him into letting me update some of the wiring and fixtures.  If safety isn’t a concern then he might like the idea of a smaller utility bill.” 

“That might do it,” I admitted with a relieved grin that he wasn’t forcing the issue.

2 comments:

  1. Great story Kathy thanks for everything you share with us.
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete