Enduring on the Lake

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Chapter 8


“Daddy!” 

“Baby Girl!” he said right back as I ran into his arms.  “Oh I’ve missed you!” 

Hugging him tightly I said, “I’ve missed you too.  And if I ever complain about how you and Mom were always riding me to practice being a responsible adult please kick me in the back end.” 

“Oh really?” he said with a laugh. 

“Yes Sir.  This is hard work; I coulda used lots more practice.  On top of everything else people are just crazy.  How on earth do you and Mom deal with it?  I’m surprised anyone ever leaves home.” 

With a knowing grin and a wink he told me, “Honey, sometimes the best way is to just jump right on in.  Why do you think Momma birds sometimes have to … er … help their chicks along?” 

I laughed knowing Daddy was just yanking my chain a little and we smiled our way into the Bait ‘n Tackle to order our lunch.  The place was owned by the same family that had owned it for about fifteen years and they recognized us.  We were heading out to sit at the overflow picnic tables to take advantage of the nice weather when Daddy said, “Somebody is eyeing us from the other side of the building.  Long, tall drink with a limp.” 

“Oh brother.  I’ll go get him.” 

“No Sister.  Let the boy make the first move.” 

“He’s not really a boy though.  Wasn’t he and Josh Sam’s age?” 

“Josh was.  Zane … hmmmmm … about Patrice’s age as I recall.” 

“So about twenty-two?” 

“More like 23 or 24 by now best I can recall.  Now eat.  He’ll find the courage or he won’t.” 

Not two minutes later Zane casually strolls up and says, “I hadn’t meant to interrupt your mean but …”  His cell phone went off. 

I could see his jaw work and as I glanced at his phone it had an unflattering picture of his younger brother Junior on the screen.  I smiled and asked, “He doggin’ you?” 

Realizing he had a sympathetic ear he relaxed a little and said, “A bit.  Actually he said he talked to Gran and they’ll take the consignment.” 

I looked at Daddy and grinned before plucking the once more buzzing phone out of his hand and answered it.  “My goodness you’re insistent.  I suppose time is money.  Zan and my dad are talking business.  As soon as they get that squared away I’m sure Zane will take the box we talked … oh … you’d like me to come in?  I’ll be happy to.  Just as soon as Mr. Tennyson turns me loose.  Of course.  See you then.  Bye now.” 

I handed the phone back to Zane who just stood there shaking his head and told him, “Junior said he’s sorry, that you should have said it was business and would you please remind me not to forget to stop by the store before leaving town.” 

Zane snorted.  My dad laughed right out.  “Lord that boy reminds me of your Uncle Orrin.  Like a dog with a bone.” 

“You have no idea,” Zane muttered in disgust. 

“Well sit down Son so I don’t get a crick in my neck.  Want some lunch?” 

“Naw Sir, already ate but thank you.” 

“Good enough.  Now let’s get down to business.” 

Soon enough Daddy had Zane relaxed and they discussed what needed doing, what skills and tools Zane had, pay, and all the rest.  An hour later I was dumping the refuse in the trash barrel and trying not to smile at the pole-axed look on Zane’s face and my father’s gleeful one.  They walked over to the long trailer Daddy was hauling and were peering inside.  I heard them talking in low tones. 

“Sir, if you don’t mind repurposed materials we might be able to pick up most of what’ll be needed through auctions.  That’s how I got most of my tools.” 

“Good deal.  I’m going to be transferring funds as needed for Sydney to use.” 

That was news to me. 

“And I want them to go as far as possible.” 

Zane replied, “Is there any other way for money to go?” 

Dad grinned, shook Zane’s hand, who then turned to leave.  He stopped all of a sudden and then pulled out his phone then winced.  He looked at what must have been a text, sighed, and then turned to find me grinning. 

Smiling I said, “Looks like Junior needs some meds for that OCD.” 

Zane shook his head a little.  “He’s wound so tight because of Gran being in the shop today.” 

“Uh huh,” I said still smiling. 

Slowly Zane grinned, nodded in Daddy’s direction, and limped over to an old pick up .  He waived again as he drove off. 

I asked Daddy, “What do you think of him?” 

“Looks like he finally grew into those hands and feet.  Seems to have grown into a decent man as well from what I can tell from meeting him again and from what I’ve learned from Red.” 

“You spoke to Uncle Red about this?” 

“Of course.  Boys used to be a little wild and willful but apparently what he went through knocked those rough edges off.” 

“What did he go through?” 

“A rough road and anything else he can tell you himself when and if he’s ready and not before.” 

I got the message; keep my curiosity in check. 

“Now c’mon and let’s get the rest of this over with.  We’ll drop that box off after the bank so Junior won’t hunt us up,” he chuckled.  “Then Red is going to meet us at the cabin with his son that is a deputy and they’re going to help us unload the trailer.  You mind me cutting out and going fishing instead of staying overnight?” 

I did kinda but I knew he didn’t get to fish as often as he used to and anything he caught would be welcome at home.  I batted my eyes but then had to stop and say, “Of course not.  Just be careful and if you get rained out …” 

“You’ll be feeding me for sure,” he said smiling.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Kathy looking forward to more.
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet a story to read and relax with. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete